Last Updated on December 10, 2022 by Peralta
Ninja air fryers are famous for their ability to bake quickly, roast, steam, grill, and air-fry, among other cooking methods. An air fryer, just like the case of Ninja Air Fryer, was designed to be a healthier alternative to deep-frying as it cooks with little to no oil. They can also be used to make french fries, chicken wings, and other fried foods. But is the Ninja air fryer safe? Well, maybe not.
Ninja Air Fryer Cancer warning was highlighted in a report from Consumer Reports which revealed that the appliance might cause cancer-causing chemicals to form in your food when cooked under high temperatures.
Why does Ninja Air Fryer have a p65 warning?
Ninja air fryers have a p65 warning for the following reason:
- Production of harmful chemicals that has a risk of CancerCancer
In explanation: Ninja air fryers produce cancer-causing chemicals called acrylamide. According to the International Agency for Research on Cancer, Acrylamide is a potentially carcinogenic chemical and very toxic.
So how is this acrylamide produced?
- Acrylamide is produced when plant-based foods are cooked under very high temperatures. Such foods include French fries, potato chips, cookies, and cereals. These foods contain free amino acids and sugars (glucose & fructose). When exposed to high heat, these components produce the cancer-causing chemical acrylamide.
- When frozen food is air-fried, for example, French fries, some acrylamide is produced.
Is Ninja Air Fryer PFOA Free?
The answer is yes, Ninja Air Fryers are PFOA free. The PFOA coatings are non-stick coatings found on the air fryer basket or accessories such as the grill pan.
What is the problem with perfluorooctanoic Acid(PFOA) when used in non-stick coatings? According to the Environmental Protection Agency(EPA), The PFOA can increase the risk of CancerCancer, congenital problems, liver problems, heart problems, and other life-threatening conditions.
So what coating does the Ninja air fryer have? It has a ceramic non-stick coating. Ceramic coating is safe and does not pose any health hazard.
Can Ninja air fryers be toxic?
Yes and No, both.
Yes, it can be toxic because ninja air fryers are known to produce acrylamide, a cancer-causing chemical produced during the cooking process of some foods. The acrylamide chemical is very toxic, especially if consumed over some time, and that is why it is an air fryer with a cancer warning.
It is not toxic because the Ninja air fryer is PFOA-free like many other air fryers. It has a ceramic non-stick coating instead of most air-fryers with PFOA-based non-stick coatings. The ninja air fryer being PFOA free is that you can cook all the other foods that do not have a chance of producing acrylamides and eat very healthy food.
Which foods are safe from acrylamide production? Meats and any other food that is not plant-based. We can also say that cooking plant-based foods ensure you do so at shallow temperatures.
Does the Ninja Air Fryer have radiation?
No, it does not.
What about radiation? Radiation is dangerous for humans because it can damage tissues and cells if we’re exposed to it over a certain period. These radiations, in the long run, are cancer-causing. The dangerous type of radiation is called ionizing radiation.
Fortunately, Your Ninja Air Fryer does not emit these rays at all. This is because nuclear reactors use heated air in the cooking process, unlike microwave ovens, which generally use electromotive force (EMF) that produce microwave radiation.
Why shouldn’t you use an air fryer?
Briefly: the greatest fear and con is CancerCancer! Cancer! Cancer!
- Air fryers can cause Cancer – When the cooking process is done under very high temperatures. Air fryers can produce the harmful chemical acrylamide when cooking certain foods like plant-based foods.
- Production of harmful compounds-These compounds is polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines. These compounds are highly cancerous and are also produced when cooking certain foods under high heat.
- Other health issues- Though air fryers are designed to use little to no oil, the choice is yours, and if you still use a lot of fats, you still are prone to obesity, cardiovascular diseases like blood pressure, heart disease, etc.
- Risk of reheated oil- If you do not thoroughly wash your air fryer baskets from the previously used oils, once reheated in the following cooking, they become very toxic and also have the potential of causing CancerCancer.
- Air fryers are not PFOA free: Some, not all, those air fryers whose air baskets are PFOA non-stick made produce harmful chemicals over time, posing a risk of cancer and other congenital diseases.
NB: What are we saying about air fryers? We are not saying that air fryers are wrong; we just let you know of the potential risks and precautions. We are saying that you should choose the correct models, like the Ninja air fryer, and follow the manufacturer’s guide.
Are Ninja air fryers healthy?
Yes! The ninja air fryer is Healthy yet Unhealthy.
Why is a Ninja air fryer healthy?
- Produces air-fried foods, which are way healthier as compared to deep-fried foods.
- It uses little to no oil-lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases: Heart disease, hypertension, etc.
- It is PFOA free-Has ceramic coating which is safe and healthy for humans.
- The Prop 65 warning indicates-no significant risk-Just following the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Do not emit radiation.
Why is the Ninja air fryer unhealthy?
- Production of acrylamide in the process of cooking plant-based foods under high temperatures.
- Production of aromatic hydrocarbons.
- The risk of reheated oils.
All these unhealthy aspects have the risks of cancers, congenital problems, and even respiratory issues.
What Can You Cook in a Ninja air fryer?
You can cook many things in a Ninja Air Fryer, but remember what we have discussed in our article about plant-based foods and the production of acrylamides. These are among the foods you can cook but follow the manufacturers’ guidelines.
- Frozen Foods
- French Fries
- Chicken Wings
Which air fryers are non-toxic?
- PFOA free – PFOA, or perfluorooctanoic acid, is a chemical used to make Teflon non-stick cookware. It has been linked to congenital disabilities, breast cancer, and liver damage, among other health issues.
- Ceramic or glass – Ceramic coating– Ceramics aren’t porous like plastic and therefore do not absorb contaminants. They also do not release fumes into your food at high temperatures like Teflon typically does.
- Stainless steel – Most stainless steel is considered safe for food contact applications.
- Temperature adjustable– You can adjust from the highest to the lowest temperatures to cook the foods that can produce acrylamide at the correct temperatures.
The ninja air fryer cancer warning has been around for a while, but it’s not worth worrying about. The only real danger with using this product is that it can produce acrylamide when cooking at high temperatures.
Therefore, we conclude that if you use your ninja air fryer correctly and follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines, there is no reason to worry about CancerCancer and other health issues.