Last Updated on May 19, 2023 by River Tree Farms
My wife and I are the proud owners of a GE dishwasher. It’s a pretty good model with many features, but sometime last year, we experienced a problem where it would beep 3 times and not start.
I tried many things, some of which worked, some didn’t, but at the end of the day, I came to a perfect solution to the particular problem.
To give you a glimpse, when the Ge dishwasher beeps 3 times and won’t start, it is because the dishwasher thinks that the door is open or not closed properly.
Finding the right repair solution is essential to get the appliance working promptly. In this article, therefore, I will provide a list of solutions related to the Ge dishwasher not starting and how you identify the correct problem.
What does it mean when your dishwasher beeps 3 times?
It highly depends on the dishwasher’s make and model. Generally, a dishwasher will beep three times for three main reasons:
- The dishwasher’s door is open.
- The control board has a problem where it thinks the dishwasher’s door is open.
- There is some leakage in the dishwasher, causing the water to collect at the bottom.
Remember, in most cases, the beeping will be in the company of LCD flashing; basically, your dishwasher will not start the cycle.
Why my GE dishwasher does beeps three times and won’t start?
Your GE Profile PDF820SSJ0SS dishwasher will beep three times if :
- The door is faulty and cannot close.
- The control board is defective and acts as if the door is open.
Let us discuss the two issues as to why the Ge dishwasher beeps three times and won’t start in detail so that you will figure out the reason why your GE Profile dishwasher is not starting.
Possible reason 1
When we talk about a faulty door, it means that the door is defective and hence not correctly latching to the dishwasher.
Ge dishwasher has a safety feature where the device will only start if you close the door and it properly latches, meaning it is perfectly closed. It usually is possible if only the latch switch is in good condition.
How will you test if the Ge dishwasher latch switches?
- Press CycleSelect and start buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds
- Close the door.
- If the control board thinks the door is closed correctly, the LEDs will remain solid for 10 seconds.
- If the controls think the door is open, the LEDs will flash for 10 seconds.
The problem is not the door latch switch when the door is closed, and the LEDs are solid. Likewise, if the door is closed and there still are LEDs blinking, it has a problem, and it needs to be replaced.
Possible reason 2
Faulty control board
It is the main reason making your dishwasher does not start associated with three beeps.
We know that the control board controls almost all the dishwasher functions. When it becomes faulty, it commands and thinks the wrong things.
For example, the control board thinks the door is open. Therefore, the Ge profile dishwasher will beep to remind you to close the door before starting the cycle. That’s why it will also not start.
The only remedy for a faulty control board is a replacement. The Ge profile dishwasher’s control board is always available in the market.
If you are not a machine maniac or are not confident and feel you will cause more damage to the dishwasher, it will be good to contact GE dishwasher customer service. On the other hand, if you feel up to replacing the control board yourself, below are the step-to-step instructions.
How to replace the GE dishwasher control board?
- Unplug the Ge dishwasher and switch off the power outlet.
- Remove the lower access panel screws using a nut driver.
- Remove the insulation and the panel.
- Remove the inner screws supporting the control board. They usually are 2.
- Disconnect the door wire connector from the panel.
- Remove the screws at the suction box cover, and pull the body off.
- Pull the pane out.
- Carefully disconnect all the main control board wires.
- Remove the grounding screw.
- Using pliers, squeeze the mounting pins to pull the old board for the panel.
- Install the new control board.
Please note: Be sure to follow the same procedure on the reverse, as you ideally need to return all the main wires correctly. If not, your dishwasher will develop new GE dishwasher control board issues.
To return the page dishwasher on track in the short run, you can reset the device and see whether it at least helps you for that particular day or for a little longer. It can also be the solution if the control board does not have an issue but is having some little misinformation.
How do you reset a GE dishwasher that won’t start?
- Press the start/reset button
- Wait for 2 minutes or until the blinking lights stop
- Turn off the power at the circuit breaker or the fuse box
- Leave the device to rest for 10-15minutes
- Plug it back
The second process is a hard reboot. It, therefore, will come as the last result. We should not hard reboot our device soo often.
Why does my dishwasher randomly beep?
- When The door abruptly opens in the cycle
The problem resolves once you close the door properly
- The door is not latching
Please open the door and close it until you hear a clicking sound for latching to be perfect.
- The spray arm is not working.
The main reason the spray arm will not work is when you over-stack the dishes, and they block the spray arm. Do not overstack the dishwasher for it to function optimally.
- Insufficient soap in the dispenser
Add enough detergent to the soap dispenser even between the cycle, and the process will continue normally.
- Too low water levels
The dishwasher will beep if there is insufficient water at the bottom of the device. It can result from a faulty float valve and the water inlet or challenging water clogs.
- Faulty anti-flood device
Water leakage in the dishwasher will also make a random beep. The beep will most likely be simultaneous with flashing lights.
- Power surge
Power disconnection of any form will cause the dishwasher to beep. It will go off and then resume its cycle when the power restores.
- Insufficient rinse aid
Often top up the rinse aid to the proper levels.
- End of cycle
The dishwasher will beep at the end of the cycle. If you are not satisfied, you can add a couple of minutes.
How do you avoid Ge profile dishwasher problems?
- Regularly run the descaling solution/ vinegar in your dishwasher.
- Regularly clean the dishwasher.
- Top up the salt reservoir.
- Use water filters in your household.
- Always follow the user manual instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does the Ge dishwasher have a reset button?
Yes. Ge dishwasher has a reset button which you can find just behind the kickplate access panel. However, not all Ge models have the reset button, but you can always press the start button for 2 minutes, and you will have to reset the dishwasher.
Why are my Ge dishwasher beeping and blinking lights?
Most likely, it is because of a power surge. Press the start/reset button and wait at least 2 minutes, so the dishwasher resumes the cycle.
How much does a Ge dishwasher control board cost?
Somewhere between $130-$150. Remember, cheap is expensive, so buy the game dishwasher manufacturer or an authorized agent. The control board will be able to serve you for at least five years without any problem, so it is worth it.
I hope I have answered your question about the Ge dishwasher beeping three times and won’t start.
Chance, you had tried some things before you even landed on this article. You reset the first and second times, and things seem to work again. When you reset for the third time, the problem persists, and you do not have any option left. The control has come to a halt!
You can follow a few simple options to try and remedy the situation. If none of these options work, it’s time to contact a professional to diagnose and fix the issue.